With all this time at home this year, a lot of people have been getting into cooking. While some are just starting off and mastering basics like eggs (they’re harder than they look!), other more experienced home chefs are taking on new, more challenging projects. If you fall into that second category—or just enjoy watching highly skilled chefs at work—you may be interested in Airbnb’s latest online experiences: small cooking classes with celebrity chefs. No, these are not free, but they all costs $100 or less, and proceeds go towards a variety of charities. Here’s what’s available and how to take the classes.
How to take an online class with a celebrity chef
The biggest name associated with this project is probably David Chang, founder Momofuku. For $100, you can spend one hour with the chef (and nine other people in the virtual class), learning how to make one-pot meals. The small class size allows students to interact with the instructor and ask questions. All proceeds from Chang’s classes will go to the LEE Initiative Restaurant Reboot Relief Program, which supports small farmers and helps restaurants reopen after COVID-19.
As Afar points out, the trick is visiting the Airbnb website and checking to see when the spots for the class you want to take go on sale. The chefs are offering a limited number of classes, and because they’re capped at 10 people, they’ll go fast. So bookmark this page, set a reminder on your phone, or do whatever else you need to do to get a spot.
G/O Media may get a commission
Aside from Chang’s class, other Airbnb Online Cooking Experiences sorted by region by the good folks at Afar, include:
- Mediterranean Seafood with Marc Favier (of Marcore in Paris, France)
- Seasonal French Produce with Indra Carrillo (of La Condesa in Paris, France)
- Fusion of Flavors with Joachim Koerper (of Eleven in Lisbon, Portugal)
- Roman Haute Cuisine with Cristina Bowerman (of Glass Hostaria in Rome, Italy)
- Secrets at Home with Giuseppe Iannotti (of Krèsios in Piedimonte Matese, Italy)
- Southern Italian Dishes with Paolo Gramaglia (of President in Amalfi Coast, Italy)
- First Course Flavors with Nicola Dinato (of Feva in Venice, Italy)
- Countryside Cooking with Davide Pezzuto (of D.One in Montepagano, Italy)
- Meaty Italian Mains with Andrea Ribaldone (of Osteria dell’Arborina in Piedmont Countryside, Italy)
- Taste of Tuscany with Gaetano Trovato (of Arnolfo in Colle di Val d’Elsa, Italy)
- Marvel at Chef Ivan’s Soulful Meals with Iván Muñoz (of El Chirón in Madrid, Spain)
- The World of High Kitchen Fermentations with Diego Guerrero (of DSTAgE in Madrid, Spain)
- Sabores de Al-Ándalus with Paco Morales (of Noor in Cordoba, Spain)
- Modern Mexican Cuisine with Roberto Ruiz (of Punto MX in Madrid, Spain)
- Summer Flavors with Pascal Aussignac (of Club Gascon in London, U.K.)
- Preservation Masterclass with Brad Carter (of Carters of Moseley in Birmingham, U.K.)
- Cook-Along with Michelin-Trained Chef Anthea Stephenson (of WeCook in London, U.K.)